Sunday, April 13, 2014

LOCO FOR COCONUT



I've recently introduced coconut oil into my skincare routine. That's right, coconut OIL! It's found in large jars and hidden away amongst the oil/seasoning aisles in supermarkets. You're all probably thinking that I've gone incredibly mad; I am mad but after scrolling through Caroline Hiron's instagram one night, I actually noticed that she had dedicated a post to coconut oil which she uses as a cleanser (see here) and I doubt any of you are going to argue with the queen of skincare? Incredibly curious, I made my way to Tesco the following day and bought a £6 tub of the stuff. I had two thoughts running through my head; if this works then I will be laughing and can start using the oil as an affordable alternative to my Emma Hardie cleansing balm. My second thought: I am an idiot to be so easily drawn in and persuaded by an instagram post.  Three weeks on and I can confidently say that I am not an idiot and have now found a holy grail skincare item that I will use for as long as I can.

So what is coconut oil? It's an edible and fatty oil extracted from a coconut. There are different types of coconut oil, but the best for our skin is pure organic virgin coconut oil. A natural oil containing absolutely no chemicals or additives; it removes makeup, cleanses, moisturises, protects from the sun and helps damaged skin. An all round winner. I have to say I was dubious at the thought of applying an oil to my already oily-combination skin. But have no fear, it is safe! Coconut oil helps to get rid of the bad oils in the skin, ultimately attacking the bad toxins, dirt and black heads that can cause breakouts. I use the oil every morning and night; taking a scoop and warming it in between my fingers before applying to my face (with or without makeup.) Massaging the oil for approx. 30 seconds, I then remove the cleanser with a warm cloth; opening the pores and leaving the skin incredibly smooth. I've really noticed a difference in my skin since using the oil and have had no bad breakouts or reactions since introducing it into my regime. Can you really complain at the idea of lovely moisturised skin and a better base for makeup? If you can, then I'd still recommend buying the oil to cook with (chicken fried in the oil tastes 100x better), but the benefits for your skin are just astounding. Have you ever used coconut oil, if so, what was your impression?


No comments :

Post a Comment