Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A TRIP TO AMSTERDAM


I am back! Quite literally back from Amsterdam and also back to blogging! I've taken a little time out from blogging in order to focus on making the most of my time off University. This year has absolutely flown by and I just wanted to set some time aside to enjoy the little things! I've had the most amazing Easter holiday spent with my family, boyfriend and friends and wouldn't wish for anything else. As I'm sure you can tell from the overload of pictures, I've recently travelled to Amsterdam! I would just like to say; do not, I repeat, do not on any circumstance stay out until 3am for a friend's birthday the night before you have to sail 15 hours to Amsterdam. Because it will be the worst journey of your life. But I doubt anyone is that stupid?! (Yes I am that stupid.) Besides the bad crossing the rest of our trip was just beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed it. When I say we, I mean myself and Sam, my boyfriend. We sailed from Newcastle to Amsterdam via DFDS Seaways, leaving at 5pm and arriving the following day at 9am. Despite my fragile state I still managed to gorge myself on snacks in our cabin as we watched The Croods and the first episode of Fargo!
Now, onto Amsterdam itself! We weren't given as much time as we'd hoped for but nonetheless we managed to travel around the city and take in a lot of what it had to offer. And I think I speak for us both when I say we would go back in a heartbeat. Amsterdam is such a beautiful city, of course you have your profanities; sex museum, red light district, and so on, but the city boasts some amazing views alongside it's canals with beautiful buildings on every corner. But out of everything, I think my favourite aspect was the food. Those chips you see, or frites as they are known in Holland, we bought from Vlaams Friteshuis Vleminckx. There are no seats and always a queue but do not let this deter you. They really are the best chips, hot crispy and fresh with over 20 different sauces to choose from. I'm not going to say much more as I really wouldn't want to spoil my memories or spoil it for anyone who may want to travel there in the future. But if you are ever given the chance, please try and go. I came home with a strange longing to buy an old bike and cycle everywhere as I'd seen hundreds do whilst over in Amsterdam. There's something so simple and beautiful when you see people of all ages riding along the busy streets on bikes. Of course no trip would be 100% complete without a burger from a vending machine, yes you heard right! Our trip home was a lot more pleasant and this time I managed to venture out onto the deck to take some photos, along with settling down after dinner to play a game of bingo and enjoy the cocktails that the boat had to offer. Amsterdam, I hope to see you again soon.


No comments :

Post a Comment